Energy Efficiency Scheme
During the summer of 2009 extensive work was carried on upgrading fire exits from all buildings, especially the older Barracks, 1916 and 1941 buildings. In addition, the Barracks was totally refurbished and upgraded. Thus, after many years of being in disuse, the building again became functional and provided much needed additional conference, meeting rooms and classrooms.
In the summer of 2009 the College Oratory was repainted and had its glass windows replaced with stained glass. The stained glass was designed and made by Eugene Harrington of Demesne Glass of Frenchpark. The new glass complimented the original Millennium stained glass window erected in the Chapel sanctuary to mark and commemorate the millennium. The Oratory was also adorned with a commemorative sculpture in metal by local artist Sally McKenna. The work, entitled “St. Nathy’s Oak” represented the connection between the saint and the oak tree of Ballaghaderreen.
The summer of 2009 also saw the entire school campus being insulated under an Energy Efficiency Scheme of the Department of the Environment. This saw all attics being insulated as well as all cavity walls being filled with insulating material.
Summer 2009 also saw the completion of a Bicentenary Commemorative Garden in the quad in front of the Barracks building.