Prior to moving to its present location, St. Nathy’s College resided at Edmonstown House (now the residence of the bishop of Achonry). This was the home to St. Nathy’s College from September 1893. Shortly afterwards, the diocese purchased the Ballaghaderreen Military Barracks from the War Office.
This had been erected in the early nineteenth century after the 1798 Rebellion and had been the centre for the Ordnance Survey of the region carried out in 1837 – ’39. Subsequently it was unoccupied. From 1893 enrolment rapidly increased and, although Edmonstown Park College was a considerable advance in accommodation and facilities, it soon was quite inadequate for the places in demand. The College transferred to the Military Barracks in January 1896.