Archives

img
08Feb 2019

Ballaghaderreen School’s Amalgamation

Some years later in it was agreed, in principle, that the three existing schools in Ballaghaderreen should amalgamate into one school located on the existing St. Nathy’s College site. A building contract was signed on 21st December 1993 by Fr. Johnston, Bishop Thomas Flynn and Patrick Reynolds on behalf of..Read More

Read More
08Feb 2019

Sale of Farmland

The downturn in Agricultural prices and income in the late sixties, together with increasing burdens of farm management and the outstanding debt on the Recreation Hall, led to the sale of most of the College farmland and the dairy herd about 1972. Fr. Charles Joseph Doherty also carried out considerable..Read More

Read More
08Feb 2019

Free Post-Primary Education

The next major influence on St. Nathy’s was the introduction of the Free Post-Primary Education scheme which came into operation in September 1967. Gradually the number of day boys increased as fees were paid by the Department of Education and also resulting from the provision of free school transport for..Read More

Read More
08Feb 2019

College Oratory

The student enrolment, and particularly boarders, gradually increased at the end of the forties and into the fifties. To provide extra accommodation, Canon James Colleran proposed building a new oratory on the ground floor and converting the existing College Oratory on the ground floor into two classrooms. The proposal was..Read More

Read More
08Feb 2019

New Extension – Recreation Hall

The next extension to the College was the Recreation Hall which joined the New and The Old College on the north end. This was a one storey building and continued that function as a recreation hall until 1964. Andrew Breslan, Dublin later, in 1925, completed minor repairs and improvements to..Read More

Read More
08Feb 2019

New College Building

Fundraising had previously been undertaken by Bishop Lyster at home and Fr Blaine in Argentina. Dr. James Daly, a colleague of Fr. Blaine, had also been fundraising abroad for more than a year. Work began on the New College which was completed in 1916. The architect was W. H. Byrne,..Read More

Read More